Recovering from substance abuse is a process that extends beyond formal treatment. Residential or outpatient rehab is an ideal first step in getting free from addiction. Nonetheless, long-term sobriety and well-being typically depend on ongoing support. It’s thus intuitive that the benefits of alumni programs for substance abuse are quite substantial. If you or a loved one is looking for primary treatment with aftercare offerings, contact Ray Recovery today. Our knowledgeable team members are available at 888.598.6299 or by online message. We’ll happily answer your questions about our Hudson, Ohio, center and its offerings.
What Can I Expect from a Substance Abuse Treatment Alumni Program?
Simply put, substance abuse treatment alumni programs are social structures designed for people who have completed the same rehab program. Programs typically have no outside time limit, giving people in recovery an ongoing source of support and community. When they join, members typically get to make choices about how they’ll engage with group offerings. For some, a simple weekly or monthly nature or sports outing may be best. For others, social outings, regular check-ins with a counselor, and participation in a weekly 12-step could be ideal.
A few offerings common among substance abuse recovery alumni programs are:
- Sober outings with other group members, such as hikes, sports games, bowling, movie nights, potlucks, or cookouts
- 12-step groups or other structured meetings where participants can share successes and challenges and practice coping skills
- Membership in support groups through Facebook or other social media platforms
- Follow-up phone calls or emails with an alumni director associated with the rehab center that members attended
- Artistic expression activities such as creative writing, collage, or guided painting sessions
- Volunteer work where participants can strengthen their emotional well-being through the tried-and-true modality of “giving back”
These activities are designed to help those in recovery stay in recovery by reinforcing relationships, forming new connections within the community, and providing recovery resources.
What Are the Key Advantages of an Alumni Program for Substance Abuse Recovery?
There are many advantages to joining a rehab center’s alumni program. Most hinge on the power of social engagement. A few of the most significant gains participants reap from such programs include the following:
- An easier transition back into daily life – After a formal treatment program, facing inevitable shifts in relationships, work, or home life can be challenging. Moreover, managing commitments and stressors without coping through substance abuse can take great courage. Maintaining contact with peers and providers from rehab creates powerful continuity and support during this transition.
- Access to resources – Ongoing communication with treatment center team members gives participants a much better chance of getting help quickly if needed. For instance, if a relapse is imminent, making the call to an alumni director could make all the difference. Moreover, alumni programs can help participants access other mental health services like community counseling centers and online tools.
- A countermeasure against social isolation – The sad reality is that many people relapse within a few months of treatment. However, this statistic is massively reduced among people with strong social support. Addiction is, to a great degree, a disease of isolation. Thus, friendship, mentorship, and plain old human contact make a world of difference in recovery.
- The opportunity to be in reciprocal relationships – Alumni programs allow participants to both learn from others and offer them support. This capacity to play multiple roles for one another fosters strong bonds that make hard times much more manageable.
- A place for joy and celebration – Alumni programs often carry a celebratory air. After all, participants have completed an important phase of their recovery journey, primary treatment, and are now working to integrate what they’ve gained into daily life. There is, indeed, much to celebrate. Having activities to look forward to can strongly incentivize commitment to recovery.
Learn More About SUD Treatment and Alumni Program Benefits by Contacting Ray Recovery Today
If you or someone you love will finish substance use disorder (SUD) rehab soon, stack the deck in your favor by enrolling in an alumni program. Learn more about treatment and alumni programs at Ray Recovery by calling 888.598.6299 today. Alternatively, our caring team can assist you online if you fill out our confidential contact form.